There are at least three babies growing 🙂 I hand pollinated them early in the morning earlier this week. I hope they make it! Considering I hav 6 plants, hopefully I can have at least 6 squashes…
We will see if this works! Recently got some new seedlings from Walter Andersen and even though I have tried growing squash many times with small success, spaghetti squash is currently my new fave squash. So I couldn’t resist trying….
It’s $3 of fun for a possibly successful experiment! A single spaghetti squash is $3 anyway so we will see!!
Here’s the dinosaur kale… I believe it’s also known as lacinto kale??
Need some more fresh dirt for my containers to house these!
We decided to pick the pitaya dragon fruit even though it didn’t appear as bright pink as some of the pictures. I did ready it takes about 30 days from flower to ripe. So I think i ended up picking it at 45 days. The tentacles coming off the fruit started having slightly dry looking edges so I decided it was ready. It was a risk as apparently they don’t ripen anymore once picked.
I am so glad I did as it was on a tiny bit of the soft side but still so good and sweet and not mushy!!!
Once I photographed it inside, it actually appeared more pink in the images so maybe that’s why other people’s looked so much brighter than mine!
Going to pick him at under 45 days!
Look at the colour change of #1
Was surprised to see the dry curing olive jar with moist salt and a fluid level.
Did all that fluid come from the olives? Or did water enter the jar from the atmosphere? It’s a mystery 🙂 guess I should’ve weighed the jar first!
As you can see they’re all wrinkly!! We tasted one, surprisingly no salty but still have a bitter taste and quite enjoyable but probably needs a bit longer to get more bitterness out.
Unlike any bought olive I have ever tasted!!
So I ran out of rock kosher salt and used a combo of the salt I have…
The pink bamboo salt (looks like brown sugar!) has an interesting taste, I am hoping it doesn’t affect the final product. Also some regular sea salt too.
Since they’re quite dehydrated, it barely needed a 1/3 jar of salt to cover.
Didn’t get too many olives from my tree and last year I tried to cure in brine but it olives just went moldy which was unexpected as I put so much salt in it. So trying something different this year, just pure salt.
I have to check it in 3 weeks. The salt is supposed to turn sludgy and I can test the flavour for bitterness and resalt if needed. They’re supposed to go wrinkly and can be plumped up again with boiling (which removed the saltiness) or put in oil. I hope these make it that far!
My dragon fruit cactus flowered a couple of weeks ago and now I have what looks like a fruit….
I am hoping it will turn into this